Monday, March 21, 2011

Lochindaal 10 year

Photobucket   It took me forever to find information on this particular scotch but persistence prevailed and thus here I am with more than just tasting notes.
A hanger-on from my old place of work (a liquor store - surprise surprise), the Lochindaal 10 year called to me because 1) I'd never tasted it and 2) twas was a mystery. Once in my tender care, I discovered my new addition to be a bit of a bastard. What I mean is that there really isn't a Lochindaal (Loch Indaal) distillery which is active or actively produced this single-malt. He is instead the Bruichladdich 10 year in disguise as dictated by the Associated Scottish Distillers. For no other discernable reasons other than the sheer sake of marketing was such trickery played out.
Pretenses and falsities aside, once his origin was established it was time to let my palate of five senses do the rest of the talking.

Color: golden sunshine on a clear summer day. brilliant fields of straw.

Nose: honeyed straw with a green grass border slightly sun baked and bales of dried hay lingering about. coconut husk. green cut grass damp dewy and summery sweet. green banana peel. honeycomb. lemon peel.

Body: light and clean, almost airy though not watery. dry in the middle and finish. very mildly mouth-coating. floats across the tastebuds.

Palate: honeycomb clean and tight with lemon peel zipping into simply sippable fresh coconut water mingles with green bananas. honeyed rolls still doughy and yeasty. freshly picked and sliced pineapple. grass and hay in the back.

Finish: spicy husky coconuts, straw, and baled hay. very faint hint of lemon and honey rolls. overall rather short-lived the flavors that linger. a minor hit of heat reminds me of a ray of summer sunshine here now and gone later. paprika makes a startling albeit agreeable appearance.

Overall an alright 10 year single-malt. What stood out the most to me was that no one thing ever really stood out and as quickly as he entered my thoughts did he quickly exit.

(an original written work by Kristyn Lier. plagiarism is not tolerated)

No comments:

Post a Comment